European Qualifications Framework (EQF) has 8 levels (1 – the lowest, 8 – the highest).
Levels reflect the complexity level of acquired knowledge, skills and competences (learning outcomes).
Go to the Glossary section
– to study theoretical courses on labour protection including knowledge of working and surrounding environment risk factors, the identification and assessment methods, analysis of environment objects and ecosystem, chemical toxicology, radioecology, workplace ergonomics and psychology, occupational health system organization, control and expertise according to laws and rules of Republic of Latvia as well as European Union,
– to apply obtained knowledge for independent research in the selected area and to prepare the scientific publications;
– to carry out independent research in the selected area of labour protection and risk assessment, summarizing general conclusions in the master’s thesis (20 credit points).
The aim of the Program is to prepare qualified specialists capable to ensure – realizing organization, monitoring and expertise of working environment systems according to requirements of laws and regulations of the Republic of Latvia and the European Union – protection of working and surrounding environment in different business entities, institutions founded by the state or the municipality or the non-governmental organizations.
The UL has a sufficiently high scientific and academic potential to be able to realize a high quality professional education program, as well as the main tasks:
– to provide students with knowledge and practical skills in working environment protection problems and expertise, as well as in management and employment rights;
– to provide the opportunity to acquire the Program according to the Regulation on the second level professional higher education national standards;
– to enable for creative apply to the latest scientific evidence of work and environmental protection in the practice carrying out a risk assessment in companies, as well as in research work;
– to develop the students’ high level of professional ethics and communication skills;
– to develop the students’ skills in self-supporting scientific research;
– to provide motivation for the continuing education and for advancement of professional qualification.
– ability to identify and to assess risks in the working environment and solve the problems,
– ability to demonstrate deep knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories related to labour protection, formulation and practical implementation of possibilities in order to ensure optimal solution of these problems,
– ability independently to plan and to carry out experimental studies related to influence of physical, chemical, biological and ergonomic risks on the workers, in order to create a safe working environment and to ensure workers’ health,
– ability to put in practice communicative and organizational skills,
– ability to objectively communicate and to discuss different aspects of working environment problems with specialists and non-specialists,
– to take the decisions in workplace risk identification and assessment and carry out the research and analysis,
– responsibility and formulate judgments in complex situations and in a new or unfamiliar environment,
– ability to make a contribution to creative scientific conclusions and to improvement and development of professional methodology.
1. The KNOWLEDGE at the level of notion about the requirements of the European Union and the International Labour Organization in the field of labour protection.
2. The KNOWLEDGE at the level of understanding:
2.1. basics of occupational health, occupational medicine and health promotion;
2.2. communication and work psychology;
2.3. basics of business economics;
2.4. basics of management;
2.5. basics of occupational toxicology;
2.6. professional terminology in the official language and at least two foreign languages.
3. The KNOWLEDGE at the level of use:
3.1. labour protection requirements and the related laws and regulations;
3.2. environmental protection requirements and the related laws and regulations;
3.3. safety of technologies used in production;
3.4. occupational risk factors and the impact thereof on occupational health and safety;
3.5. identification, measurement and evaluation of occupational risk factors;
3.6. collective and personal protective equipment for the work process;
3.7. basics of work ergonomics;
3.8. computer science and computer technology in labour protection;
3.9. storage of hazardous substances and safety measures when working with them;
3.11. basic principles of accident investigation and determination of causes;
3.12. causes and correlations of occupational diseases;
3.13. legal employment relationship and social dialogue in a company;
3.14. knowledge of the official language;
3.15. at least two foreign languages at the communication level.
3.16. research methodology;
1. To know and apply labour protection regulations and standards within a company.
2. To carry out internal monitoring of the work environment.
3. To organize and carry out environmental risk assessment, determining the amount, nature and impact of risks of the work environment on occupational health and safety.
4. To use in practice work environment risk assessment methods, including qualitative, semi-qualitative or quantitative assessment methods.
5. To document the results of risk assessment of the work environment.
6. To organize laboratory measurements.
7. To organize mandatory health checks.
8. To evaluate and select personal protective equipment.
9. To plan labour protection measures.
10. To develop labour protection instructions, internal regulations, orders and other documentation related to professional activities.
11. To analyse the situation of a company with regards to work and environmental protection.
12. To organise and carry out labour protection training at a company’s level.
13. To analyse and systematize information available in the field of labour protection.
14. To carry out work-related accident investigation or be part of the commission of inquiry.
15. To be able to assess and adopt measures for prevention of accidents and occupational diseases in the workplace.
16. To collaborate with representatives and fiduciaries of employees.
17. To manage a company’s business units (departments, sections etc.) in the field of labour and environment protection.
18. To know the labour protection regulations of the state, the European Union and the International Labour Organization.
19. To know and apply environmental protection regulations related to labour protection.
20. To meet the requirements of the legal employment relationship.
21. To comply with labour protection and fire safety regulations.
22. To have a good command of the official language.
23. To use professional terminology in the official language and at least one foreign language.
24. To have a good command o at least two foreign languages at a communication level.
25. To use information technologies to carry out one’s activities.
26. To make research in the field of labour protection.
1. Ability to analyse and apply in practice the requirements of regulations and standards in the field of labour protection.
2. Ability to organize and plan activities associated with internal monitoring of the work environment, risk assessment and prevention or reduction measures thereof.
3. Ability to plan labour protection activities and environmental protection activities related thereto within a company.
4. Ability to inspect, monitor and control a company’s work environment, ensuring compliance with basic requirements of occupational safety and health.
5. Ability to analyse and evaluate the compliance of the monitoring and control results with the requirements of the work environment internal supervision regulations.
6. Ability to use in practice work environment risk assessment methods, including qualitative, semi-qualitative or quantitative assessment methods.
7. Ability to identify and organizationally solve the ergonomic, psychosocial and organizational problems of the work environment.
8. Ability to substantiate the priority and usefulness of the planned labour protection and related environmental protection measures.
9. Ability to organize and carry out training of the staff in labour protection matters.
10. Ability to assess the compliance of collective and personal protective equipment with the job and the requirements of regulations and standards.
11. Ability to assess the compliance of the work equipment with the requirements of regulations and standards.
12. Ability to assess fire safety, electrical safety, explosion, radiation and nuclear safety condition and risk within a company.
13. Ability to assess the compliance of the use of dangerous equipment with the requirements of regulations.
14. Ability to assess and determine measures for safe handling of hazardous substances in the workplace.
15. Ability to assess and plan the necessary actions in emergency situations.
16. Ability to carry out accident investigation, analysis and determination of the causes.
17. Ability to work with employers, employees, their representatives and fiduciaries.
18. Ability to find the necessary solutions, matching the interests of employers and employees.
19. Ability to understand a company’s business operations.
20. Ability to prepare reports, statements and minutes, communicating the results to a company’s management and employees.
21. Ability to manage a company’s business units (departments, sections etc.) in the field of labour and environment protection.
22. Ability to organize rational allocation of tasks among the performers.
23. Ability to draw up labour protection instructions and prepare information materials on labour protection measures in the work environment.
24. Ability to collaborate with experts of other fields.
25. Ability to represent a company in other companies, governmental and non-governmental bodies with respect to natural persons.
26. Ability to create, analyse and develop necessary databases.
27. Ability to utilize information technologies to carry out one’s activities.
28. Ability to communicate in the official language and at least two foreign languages.
29. Ability to carry out research of scientific value in the field of labour protection.
30. Ability to meet the requirements of te legal employment relationship.
Security services (103)Detailed field: (ISCED 2013)
Occupational health and safety (1022)Education
Higher educationQualification type
VocationalFull or partial