European Qualifications Framework (EQF) has 8 levels (1 – the lowest, 8 – the highest).
Levels reflect the complexity level of acquired knowledge, skills and competences (learning outcomes).
Go to the Glossary section
Programme requirements are to master the knowledge and competence necessary for the teacher in pedagogy, education science, courses in the field of science of the chosen qualification, incl. courses in methods of teaching;
– to master and consolidate the practical skills and competences of the teacher of the chosen qualification in the pedagogical practice at school (26 credit points);
– to acquire the research skills by working out and defending the Diploma paper (10 credit points) which is a practice-oriented research work containing theoretical and practical parts including the research methodology, research results and their analysis and conclusions.
Part of the teaching practice (12 credit points – 18 ECTS credits) is recognized for the student who already has the second level higher professional pedagogical education.
The aim of the study program is:
– to educate qualified teachers of general education for the education institutions of Latvia, to ensure the possibility for students to acquire the necessary teacher competence and receive a teacher qualification.
The objectives of the program are:
– to ensure possibilities for acquiring qualitative higher pedagogical education that corresponds to the standards and legislation of the republic of Latvia;
– to ensure the possibility for the future teachers to supplement their knowledge and skills in the respective subject and methods of teaching that ensure professional work of the teacher and facilitates the increase of the professionalism;
– to promote the development of students’ self-education needs by facilitating their advancement towards lifelong learning in the common European education space;
– to ensure the application of the acquired theoretical knowledge, skills and professional attitudes in their pedagogical work at schools.
The graduates of the program:
– will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills in the respective school subject, its teaching methods, pedagogy and psychology;
– will be able to apply the acquired theoretical knowledge and skills in the professional activities in the respective subject;
– will be able to show more profound or broader knowledge that corresponds to the latest developments in the professional field and that ensure the basis for creative thinking or research, including interdisciplinary contacts;
– will understand and be able to implement teachers’ work according to the Standard of the teacher’s profession;
– will be able to take the responsibility and initiative performing individual work and working in the team and managing the pupils’ learning process;
– will be able to formulate and analyse critically scientific and professional issues;
– will be able to integrate knowledge of different spheres and give contribution to the creation of new knowledge;
– will be able to evaluate critically one’s professional activities and make decisions for the professional development;
– will be able to direct the improvement of one’s competences.
Education (011)Detailed field: (ISCED 2013)
Teacher training with subject specialization (0114)Education
Higher educationQualification type
VocationalFull or partial